Simply Balisha

Simply Balisha

Thursday, March 27, 2014

Yesterday, I finished my day here at home and then went to Elizabeth's for a visit. It had been too long between visits. She greeted me at the door...dressed in a beautiful outfit. A long skirt of blue, with a beautiful top. As usual... lovely jewelry and her hair just done. What a lovely lady, who still cares about how she presents herself, in her late 80's. She warmly welcomed me and suggested that we have tea. The tea service was on her counter and I brought the things over to the table by the window. There was a little pitcher nearby and she asked me to bring it too. A plate of cookies and we were ready for tea. She poured from her pretty tea pot and asked me to pass the pitcher....She said that she liked a bit of rum in her tea and asked if I would like to try it. It was so delicious...I had never heard of this before.
Elizabeth's pups were waiting in her garden room. I opened the door and let them in. Foxy and Bello, West Highland Terriers, were so excited to see me. They settled down quickly and I cleared the table.
We had decided the last time I visited... that we would share photo albums the next time I came. She brought out her boxes and I had my bag with a couple of little albums to share. I love looking at some one's life through their photos and these didn't disappoint. Pictures of her, when she was younger and of her parents and grandparents in Germany. We shared pictures of our children and newer family pictures. Now, I'll tell you how "with it" Elizabeth is...she brought out her newest treasure.....an IPad (I think that's what it is called) with pictures of her great -grand- daughter. She touched the screen and the baby started babbling and cooing and acting up. How wonderful this is for her...to be able to see her little g- grand daughter in motion. She was tickled pink....and so was I. I could see the love for this little one in her eyes.
She knits dishcloths and always gives me one before I leave. I had brought her two giant cookies that I had just made.
We ended our visit with the promise that we would see each other soon. Maybe when it is warm and we can be out in her lovely yard.
I was thinking while driving up the road to my house...how very lucky I am to have a friend living close by...to visit with. No matter what the weather it's always cozy at Elizabeth's and I'm always learning something new with our visits.
Balisha

5 comments:

  1. She sounds like such a fine lady. I love Westie's--love their little square heads :-) Sounds like a visit that made your day brighter. Lucky you are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your words warm me to my very core. I had a friend like this but I won't go into that. Technology is shunned by so many, of all ages, but it really is a gift for open people like Elizabeth. Combined with cups of tea and treats makes it something wonderful for all of us as you share. And that you get to share Elizabeth and your lovely afternoon...just priceless!

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is wonderful, Balisha. I have Juanita who is 92 but I have neglected her. Next week, I must take her to Bartlesville to eat at Dink's Bar B Q. She loves Dink's and no telling how long I will have her. You are wise to visit your friend while she is still with us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your visits there are always enjoyable to read about! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm just testing this...I got an email about not being able to comment...I just wondered why this happened.

    ReplyDelete