Simply Balisha

Simply Balisha

Saturday, March 8, 2014

A Favorite Thing and a Pet Peeve

This salt box is one of my favorite things on the kitchen counter. It saves me so much time....It was a gift from my daughter, a few years ago. I keep Kosher salt in this. I'm careful to not contaminate the whole thing, but not washing hands after preparing meat, fish and poultry. When I am salting a stew or soup...I never follow the recipe on seasoning. I season as I go along...salting each layer of food. Using this handy "tool" keeps me from having to use the measuring spoon all the time. Do you remember the old recipes of Grandma's that called for a pinch of this or a tea cup full of that? It seems that our ancestors never followed a recipe. So, this is my salute to those old timers....a salt box on my counter is a favorite....a time saver in my kitchen.
I do, however have salt shakers and pepper mills. Oh, do I have pepper mills. Joe is a collector of pepper mills. We have all kinds...he even bought one at a restaurant once, because the one at the table worked so well. I think that many men salt and pepper their food without even tasting. The food is brought to the table and they grab the shakers and salt and pepper away. This is a pet peeve of mine   :)...Now you have it...a favorite thing and a pet peeve...all in one post.
Balisha

7 comments:

  1. I had a friend who said that those who salt before tasting were insulting her ability to prepare food! I never thought of it that way but it is foolish to salt (and pepper) before tasting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Morning. That's a lovely salt crock. I remember John and I traveling to Williamsburg with my parents, and daddy bought a salt/pepper set from a restaurant we ate at! Your are right....I often see men salt & pepper their food before tasting it when we dine out. I often see folks pour about 1/4 cup sugar in coffee, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel the same way, Balisha, when I see a man grab the salt and pepper without even tasting it when I have already seasoned the food.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a taste as you go cook, too...a little pinch here and there. Neither me nor my husband add any extra salt or pepper to our food at the table. We both try to limit our sodium/salt intake as much as possible anyway. Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do the same as you do when seasoning. I use Kosher salt in a little salt container. It's right on the stove and it works perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Most meals I cook, I don't follow a recipe. Except for when I'm baking cakes or cookies. I too season as I go. Love your little salt box...

    ReplyDelete
  7. My husband is one of those salters without tasting--it bugs me, too. My kids have asked me for my meatloaf and potato salad recipes before, neither of which I use a recipe for. Both of those are dishes I learned from watching my mother make them and are still two of the family favorites.

    ReplyDelete