Simply Balisha

Simply Balisha

Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Is Anyone Out There Like Me?

Is there anyone out there like me? You enjoy routine...especially in the morning.Maybe it's my age....and then again I'm thinking that after all the years of having to hurry in the morning....at last I can take my time.

There were the years of cooing and  crying little babies, needing to be changed and fed. They didn't like waiting....for anything.
Then getting the kids and husband out the door for school and work. A good breakfast...trying to keep the conversation happy, so that they would all have a good day. That last minute rush to make sure everyone had their books etc. Then came the days of my working outside the home....the kitchen and bathrooms were alive with family going in and out...timed showers, sounds like, "Mom where's my?" coming from the bedrooms. Husband leaving first and then the kids. Mom was last.

When I got to work, my boss would say, "You look frazzled...what's up?" I always thought that arriving at work was such a peaceful thing....I could relax for a bit.

Now. all that's gone and here we are at this stage of life. I love my routine....waken early, say a prayer for a good day, maybe watch the news, bathroom to myself, get dressed, check the computer while coffee or tea is brewing. answer some emails, play a word in scrabble with my daughter, then get breakfast ready. Joe's routine is about the same. Sometimes we even eat breakfast at our computers....shocking! I was finding that any little change in the routine could throw me off for some of the day.

We've added swimming to our early morning routine, though I love it....it does change things a bit here. I am finally getting used to it. I first found that I was  getting that old "rush" feeling that I had years ago. We have to be out the door early. No time for a good breakfast...maybe a smoothie. We can have breakfast later in the morning. When I get in the water....I have that old peaceful thing happening... like when I arrived at work years ago. My shoulders relax and I find that my whole being changes. For that hour or so....I am completely relaxed and ready to face the day ahead. I'm so glad that my routine has changed...swimming has done wonders for my arthritis. I am constantly moving in the water....my arms and legs in motion and I also walk the lap lines back and forth several times.....to help me with my balance. I also stand on one leg (like and ostrich) and count to 100. Then holding on to the side of the pool I kick my legs...keeping them straight for 100 kicks... twice in the morning. My arthritis pain has lessened...and I know it's from the water exercises.

So, now my routine has changed again for 3 days a week. I guess we all need a shake up in our habits. Maybe it will keep us feeling better.There are so many stages in our lives....we need to find that peace in everything we do.
Balisha

4 comments:

  1. It is wonderful that you are benefiting so much from the swimming! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you! I never learned to swim.
    We are creatures of habit, too. It takes us longer to get up and going these days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm new to your blog and enjoying reading through old posts. Last summer, a much-younger neighbor tried to convince me to take water aerobics with her at an outdoor pool. I haven't been in a bathing suit in decades and declined because of that reason as much as my work schedule. I work from home about 20-30 hours a week. Thanks for the boost to reconsider this upcoming summer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi everyone,
    Going to the pool is a habit now...after a couple of months. I feel so much better. My grand daughter feels badly that she is over weight and doesn't like to go to the gym. I encouraged her to get to a pool for exercise. It's easier to do and no need to feel embarrassed about the weight issue. Everyone looks the same under water : You can use a beach towel or robe to get to the water and then just let go of it. Soon, you will feel much more comfortable with your body. Those pictures in magazines aren't real people. They've been altered so much that you wouldn't even recognize those people on the street. It's time to stop letting others dictate to us......just grab a suit and jump in. You don't even have to know how to swim to go to a pool.

    ReplyDelete