Simply Balisha

Simply Balisha

Saturday, March 1, 2014

Saturday's Thoughts

I took this image from facebook. I think that this is one of my little birds. I hate to say it....more snow. It just started melting and now a new layer to contend with. This winter has really tested us in many ways. We have learned patience .. we have learned to give up plans, we have learned more about driving in snow, we have learned to check our supplies and keep reserves in food etc. we've learned to keep a pathway open to feed the birds, and most of all...we have learned to be thankful. Thankful for all we have. We are blessed with a warm home, clothing, food. Things that many don't have....we wonder when we go to sleep...where are the homeless people tonight?Just a thought as we prepare for yet another snowstorm.

As I type this, my passion flower vine is growing so well and is now looking over my shoulder. If you remember, it didn't grow much last fall, so I brought it in...made a little trellis for it, and put it in a sunny window. It has thrived in the house. I want to transplant it outside later in the spring. My valentine primroses are blooming. I put them both in a bigger pot, so they don't wilt down each day. I never saw a plant wilt like these....they almost looked dead one day. Just a drink of water revived them.  The aloe and the ivies are growing by leaps and bounds and the Christmas cactus is enjoying a vacation in the basement. My amaryllis bloomed quite a while ago....and now a new bud is forming. This is the slowest amaryllis I've ever had. I guess that being in a cooler place is the reason. I was at Sam's just this week...and right by the register, as you check out, they had a display of orchids. For just about $16 you could have a beautiful plant. I almost bought one, and then changed my mind. They are lovely when they bloom, but for the most part they don't bloom very long and then you have the leaves. I may regret it, but I guess I'd rather buy something that blooms longer or one that you can put outside.

I have my seeds right here this morning. The Purple Hyacinth Bean seeds from last year's garden. I may try to put a large tub on the other side of the trellis and plant Cypress Vine seeds on one side and Hyacinth Beans on the other. I also have Trumpet Vine seeds, Cup Plant seeds, and Butterfly Bush seeds. I don't remember buying a couple of those...they must have been sent along free with an order.

 I have a tub for a patio tomato plant, and maybe pepper plants in the planter on the deck. I can't forget the bunny garden of lettuce. We share that, you know.I always order my Dipladenia plants...they don't sell them at any greenhouses where I go. I love them and they are such easy care plants. They are in the Mandevilla family...they don't vine like their relative.

These are the ideas that I have for my little bit of gardening this coming spring....plans do change...but for now while I am dreaming of spring gardens, it makes me happy.

Balisha




6 comments:

  1. Good morning, Balisha...well, it's almost afternoon now. I know, can you believe that here comes another snowstorm? And, to make matters worse, on March 1st? Ugh, we've all had it up to here with this winter! I love your thoughts on spring and plants...it's so nice to dream and think ahead of what's coming soon. We were at Walmart last night and they were putting out all the spring things in the gardening section...bags of dirt, fertilizer, and garden hoses. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thinking about planting seeds is a good way to 'weather' the next snowfall ! :)

    They say we could get up to a foot here, depending on so many things, so we'll see...

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is fun to think about the spring garden. This is our first year here but we have a few plants to look forward to.
    Stay safe and warm and cozy indoors during this latest storm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a heart-warming post. We aren't supposed to get any of your snow this time around, though it will hit New York and has delayed my trip to California by three days. Still and all I am a lucky woman. I am thankful and appreciate the reminder to say that out loud more often.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well thanks, Balisha for bringing us some Spring....I know you've had a tough winter and Spring will be all the more special.

    ReplyDelete