Simply Balisha

Simply Balisha

Saturday, January 17, 2015

Just to let you know...

Well here goes.

I spent several hours in the ER yesterday. My belly was swollen as were  my feet and legs. The doctor wanted me to go to the OSF clinic for an abdominal x ray. I felt that it would be too much for me to travel an hour and then have to wait for treatment. So, Joe decided to call the paramedics and have me transported by ambulance. I can't say enough good about our fire dept. They are so caring and gentle with people and know just what to say to calm you down. So far, they have given me the best care.

So that brings me to this....after x rays, ct scan etc. We found that I have ascites. There is fluid in the abdominal cavity that shouldn't be there. I look like I'm about to have a baby at this point. Weak as a kitten and shortness of breath. I haven't been able to sleep.They told me that not much would be done over the weekend and I could go home and come back if I get worse. I am to make an appt at a gastro enterologist as soon as  possible. There are a couple of things that might be causing this. Liver not working right or bowel. I don't drink alcohol...never have smoked and don't use caffeine, so the cause of this is a puzzle.

Now, we have to find a doctor that can take me soon. Now, I'm on my soapbox....the health care system in our country is really bad. The days when you could just call the doctor and he would see you are gone. You almost have to jump through hoops to get attention today. Old people seem to be lost in the shuffle. Where are the geriatric doctors? You think you are doing the right thing by going to your doctor and having regular checkups....and then if they do find something... it will be taken care of. Now, you go to the doctor and then do followups with his nurse on the phone..... that's how it's done today. Sometimes waiting all day for them to call back. A phone call or two isn't enough....how can they see your progress by talking on the phone?

I don't know what is going to happen. That's the scary part. I try to keep a positive attitude, but that is slipping away.

I appreciate all your loving comments....this old computer chair is the most comfortable place for me. During the night, I often come here and read them over and over again.

I have a strong faith that God will see me through this. Please pray for me.

Love to all of you,
Balisha

30 comments:

  1. Hugs and prayers. I hate that hospitals won't do anything on the weekends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, Balisha, this is so scary! I had never heard of ascites, so I looked it up. I hope this will just "go away" and that you don't have problems with your liver. I also hope that you can get in to see a doctor soon about this. Between the pneumonia, now this, I'm sure you are feeling very poorly. My heart goes out to you. And yes, I will keep you in my prayers. Sending you love and hugs, too. {{Balisha}}

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my, Balisha! I am so sorry you are having to go through all this. Hopefully, they will get whatever is causing it diagnosed and then treated! I have you in my prayers!.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found this information on the internet:

    Testing was done for thyroid function, and her TSH level was 73 (normal range 0.2-5.7) and free T4 was 5 (normal range 9-19 pmol/l). She had elevated thyroid peroxidase antibody levels.

    As her thyroxine level was raised from 25 to 100 micrograms a day, her CA 125 levels returned to normal, and she had no ascites.

    The researchers concluded that CA 125 levels in patients with hypothyroidism and ascites can be as high as those seen in patients with cancer, suggesting that any patient with ascites and a raised CA 125 concentration should have thyroid function measured as part of their initial evaluation

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have heard a lot of complaints like this, about the health care system in the last few years. Fred never had to go through anything like that--I had doctor's or nurses call me in the evening to let me know what was going on with him and if he needed an appointment, they always took him right in. I do believe it has a lot to do with the new ACA, but that's just my opinion. Of course God will see you through this, Dear Heart. But I will pray every day for you, just to remind Him. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sure hope you get better soon and find a great Dr... Keeping you in my prayers my friend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so sorry to hear that you are still having problems with your health. I hope that the whole situation stabilises for you and that you can get a clear diagnosis as soon as possible. Jx

    ReplyDelete
  8. My dear and special friend
    I log in many times a day
    to see if there is a message from you.
    Stay strong and many prayers going out for you.
    Love, Ernestine

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know it is so scary to be so ill, to know you need care, and to not have it available in a timely manner. I will keep you in prayer. God will never leave you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am a relatively new follower of your blog. I am a caregiver to my 71 year old mom who has Alzheimer's. I understand your frustration with the health care system. It's ridiculous! Save your strength and keep positive thoughts for health and healing! You will remain in my thoughts and prayers!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so sorry to read that you have been going through all of this. I have had the same experience here in the St. Louis area of the "Nurse will call you back syndrome". There have been times when they didn't even call back that day, even if I had called early in the morning, sometimes they end up calling the next day. This was before the ACA went into effect. I think it has just been the way they get away with doing doctor business around here for a few years.

    Maybe your current problem has something to do with the medications you have had to take for the pneumonia.

    I will be praying for you to feel better and to get doctors who will do better for you.

    Take care.

    Susie D.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Praying for you and believing you will get the best of care....from Kansas.
    Terri

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dear Balisha, You are in my thoughts and prayers. Hope you can get an appointment ASAP and
    find some way to be comfortable until then. Bobbie

    ReplyDelete
  14. Praying for you and for Joe. Thank God he is there with you! Sending cyber hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  15. When it rains it pours, doesn't it. :( This ascites...never heard of it but hopefully it will clear up and is related to the virus that caused the pneumonia or perhaps a med that you are on or something. I'll have to go Google it.but of course I will pray...been thinking of you every day! :) XO



    ReplyDelete
  16. Bless your heart, dear Balisha. I am so sorry you are going thru this. I know it's scary not knowing what might be causing this condition...I pray for good care of you by your doctors...and that they find out what's wrong and FIX YOU UP. :)
    Prayers and love to you,
    bj

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thinking of you, with much concern.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hoping you feel better soon and get good care.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh, Balisha...my computer has been on the fritz and so I was surprised to pop in tonight and read of your health problems! I will certainly be praying for you!

    (About health care...lest you think those communication issues are limited to older patients...not so! My 21-year-old daughter has found many lapses in communication this past year and it is very frustrating!)

    Please take care, friend!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Balisha,
    I've seen you name on other blogs, and I clicked on a link over at Judy's a few minutes ago to get here. I'm so sorry to hear that you are sick. I hope you feel better soon and are back to all your normal activities. Keeping good thoughts for you.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Stopped by from Judy's - praying for you. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh, Balisha, you simply don't have time for any more illness!

    I am a regular reader but first time commenter. If loving thoughts could heal you, you'd be up and about and feeding birds and feeding Joe and planning your garden!

    I see you've lots of wonderful folks sending prayers, and THAT is the best medicine indeed!

    Sending you long distance hugs from Missouri, along with wishes for comfort and a speedy and complete recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh my, sending you many hugs and prayers. I hope you get seen and taken care of soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh Balisha..it's the 21st now and we all miss you. How are you doing? What have you learned?

    ReplyDelete
  25. Balisha I am so sorry to read this. I will pray for you to find some relief and healing. You are correct about geriatric care, I heard just the other day that only about 10% are specializing in that field now. Such a sad state of affairs! Please feel better soon. ~ Diane

    ReplyDelete
  26. Dear Balisha, Hope you have been getting some treatment!! Thinking good thoughts for you. Bobbie

    ReplyDelete
  27. Balisha, hoping this note finds you improved and more comfortable. Also, hope you have found some answers. xo

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh no I am keeping you in my prayers I hope things are better for you at this point. Please post or have someone do it for you.
    a giant hug and lots of prayers coming.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  29. I am getting very worried about you.

    ReplyDelete