Simply Balisha

Simply Balisha

Monday, June 2, 2014

A Night Visitor

There have been mysterious happenings around here lately. The hummingbird feeders have been emptied during the night. The oriole feeder with grape jelly has been licked clean. Even the bird feeder full of sunflower seeds is empty in the morning. Then I noticed that some little creature was using our mulch as a litter pan. Only the droppings were very large and always right up against the house in the same place every time. Strange noises outside the bedroom window...a little scary. With the feeders being empty each night, I started bringing them inside. I liked to wait until it was dark, because the hummingbirds were still drinking at 8pm. So, last night at 9:30, I went to open the sliding glass doors and saw something large moving on the deck railing. A little frightened, I waited and took another look. I called Joe and he came into the room. The creature came down off the rail and slowly moved toward us. He climbed up in one of the chairs and looked at us.No hurry....just taking his time....seemingly unafraid. Then he got down off the chair....did he leave? Not a chance. He boldly sauntered over to the glass door and stood up on his hind legs and peered in. We were moving around and didn't scare him in the least. It was as though he was our pet and wanted to know when we were going to feed him. Now, I love critters like this, but this one is a little too brazen. Joe tapped the glass hard and he scooted down the stairs. We went back to sit down and in a little while, I checked and he was back again. Joe knocked hard on the window and the raccoon took off.
We have a neighbor who traps them and takes them out to where he works on the railroad and turns them loose. I know that we may be separating a family, but what are we to do? We go though this all the time and it's a little dangerous for us to have them here. I often water at dusk, I'm out in the woods many times, I once went to turn off the hose at the faucet and a possum was right there hissing at me like a cat. I know not to reach my hand down into a clump of weeds....from scaring a snake one time. I guess that we have to be alert to most any kind of animal hiding nearby. As I look out to the woods, I wonder who is looking back. With a pond right next door...this is the perfect spot for a raccoon. A little fishing, a bath, food on the deck and friendly people. Well, not for long, my little friend....we are calling our trapper neighbor this morning.
Balisha

12 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. We've had so many over the years. Once we had two little "twins" that Joe took across the road on the end of a rake.

      Delete
  2. I remember a raccoon doing that when I was younger, kids were little, etc. He came up to the door too...they are really fearless and so curious! They are cute as can be as well, yet worrying about rabies and such ...or just being startled to death at dusk...I certainly understand! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are adorable....almost too cute to be afraid of. But common sense tells us to be wary when out in the yard in the evening. I think that they would bite if in a scary, for them, situation.
      I remember seeing nature movies in school and showing them getting into a cabin and getting into mischief.
      A friend had them chew through her roof and had her babies in the attic.

      Delete
  3. Its their boldness that's so scary - last week I had a stare down with a coyote when my dog was outside. I am being very careful and going outside with her now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are the brave one...staring down a coyote...I have heard about coyotes killing family pets.

      Delete
  4. I think they are very cute too but would be leery of getting too close to them. They are way too brave!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one actually sat on one of our lawn chairs and then stood right up in front of the window looking in at us.

      Delete
  5. This reminds me of the TV commercial, selling glasses, where the woman goes to her bedroom sliding door and calls, "C'mon. Come snuggle with Momma.", apparently thinking the raccoon is a cat. The raccoon walks in the bedroom, hops up on the bed, stretches out and goes to sleep and the woman says, "Momma's girl."

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those little rascals visit us too! I finally scrolled down far enough to find the place to "follow" you again. I've been missing your posts for awhile but should be back in the loop now.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I had problems with my old blog....I lost my followers list. Now I am starting over. Thanks for following.

      Delete