Simply Balisha

Simply Balisha

Thursday, June 19, 2014

Mini Gardens

Tiny gardens are all the rage right now. Some call them Fairy Gardens. Any container can hold a mini garden. I have this shell like garden made from a big leaf and some concrete. My neighbor, Betty made it. I have it sitting on my purple chair in the front of the house. I put some soil in it and popped in a few succulents. This was the beginning of, what I call, my dish garden.I had a little turtle and another brass one. You can hardly see the brass one here. I didn't mean for it to be a tiny garden, but it turned out that way. I can't take a picture of it because of all the rain, but it's looking much more filled out today. I'll take a picture later on and show you how it looks right now. 
I have another in a terra cotta container, that has hens and chicks. A tiny birdbath is in it...one that fills up when it rains or is hit by my hose. These little gardens are visited by tiny insects, and even a bird will occasionally land on them to pick up an insect or just check it out. I found a little poem this morning by Robt. Louis Stevenson...about gardens and fairies.
Hope you have a magical day...Balisha


(Do you see the hen in the center of all those chicks. Well, she was about to die when this was taken. When I went out to take a picture....she was gone...just a stub of a plant was left and all the chicks were scattered around her remains with roots unattached. I quickly popped them into the soil and took a picture. I'll show it tomorrow..)
The Flowers by Robert Louis Stevenson
All the names I know from nurse:
Gardener's garters, Shepherd's purse,
Bachelor's buttons, Lady's smock,
And the Lady Hollyhock.

Fairy places, fairy things,
Fairy woods where the wild bee wings,
Tiny trees for tiny dames--
These must all be fairy names!

Tiny woods below whose boughs
Shady fairies weave a house;
Tiny tree-tops, rose or thyme,
Where the braver fairies climb!

Fair are grown-up people's trees,
But the fairest woods are these;
Where, if I were not so tall,
I should live for good and all.


5 comments:

  1. OH YES. Mother called them Dish Gardens, so I do too. I don't put anything in them except perhaps a shell or a stone that I like. Love the poem--although, you and I would have to live in the Giant Redwood Forest to feel small, LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. The garden is precious and the poem so fitting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been wanting to make a fairy garden. I saw one in a child's shoe yesterday at the antique store.
    Wishing you a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello there girl !
    I think your tiny garden is so darn cute and with the little turtle it makes it complete .. small and slow growing/going ? LOL
    I have yet to do this but seeing so many of them it does stir my creative thoughts.
    That poem ... I am sure I read it as a child when fairies were in the woods I used to play in .. I just know they were real back then as a child .. now I have to push myself a bit harder but I think I might still believe ! LOL
    Joy : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now that is what I should call mine. Mini gardens. It's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete