Simply Balisha

Simply Balisha

Wednesday, June 18, 2014

I Covet Garden Things

I covet garden things. There I made this simple confession. I can think of nothing else that I covet. I'm not an envious person. I love to see friends and family get the things that they desire. I'm never envious of some one's new home, car, clothing etc. but..........once in a while I see something in some one's garden that takes my eye and I would do anything to get it. Well, almost anything. My sin rose it's ugly head just a couple of days ago, when an old blogging friend Lynne Usary posted a picture of a plant in her yard. There it was...not a flamboyant flower, but a soft pink, hop like flower trailing down a terra cotta pot with soft light green leaves. She had told me about this earlier this year, but I hadn't seen it for my own eyes. 

 I saw it on her page early in the day. I came back numerous times to see it again. I researched it and checked out some places where I could order it. I went back and took another look. I found someone who had them and wanted to order...bringing it right to my door. I placed the order and then a short while later....regretted doing this. The cost of shipping was almost more than the plants. I went back to FB and looked again. I decided that I had to have it and went to bed. I thought about it during the night and said to myself...that I would cancel the order in the morning. Morning came and I sent the email cancelling these plants that I wanted more than anything. 
Joe had a couple of errands to run in Rockford, so I had some time to kill. I called a nursery a little bit of a drive from me and asked about it. The clerk said she'd have to check and would call me back. A short time later, she called...they had it. Hooray! I was in the car as fast as a Jack rabbit. After a drive...I was inside the nursery. Now, it was close to 90 yesterday and a greenhouse is the last place you want to be on that kind of a day. They had fans on the flowers for heaven's sake. I felt like I was going to melt as I pushed the heavy cart through miles (it seemed) of greenhouse. Only one other soul was there shopping. She had a cart full of drooping perennials. She looked as pitiful as me. After following directions....down that row, two rows over, turn left, five tables down....I found them. There they were, Kent's Beauty Ornamental Oregano... all perky in the heat and just waiting to come home with me. 
Here I am today with two plants. I put one in the big container next to the drive and the other is just waiting for me. I want to try to keep one in the house. No one says that it can be a houseplant, but I just want to try it. So, this morning I will find a suitable pot and plant this thing that I coveted. Now that I have it....I don't know what it is about it that made me go through all of this trouble. The leaves are ordinary, the flowers are nothing spectacular...just interesting. I hope I didn't want it because Lynn had it. I guess that I'll never know, but now that I have it...I will enjoy it. Now you know a little more about me. I do covet things. As I look at your posts with beautiful plants...I may see one that takes my eye....and will start the hunt all over again :)
Balisha

This post is done with a  little tongue in cheek...

11 comments:

  1. I am so glad you found this beautiful plant..you will enjoy it all summer. I have never brought it inside for winter but that is a thought!! Dont be afraid it cut it back first...I can imagine the smile on your face when you spotted it..makes me smile too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the plant. It reminds me of my Hops vine that I used to have. It was so vigorous in growth that i haven't planted it here. The little hops look like the flowers on this one.
    Thanks for your help on the Tipsy Pots. I just didn't do it because of having to keep it watered. Your's look so beautiful.
    Balisha

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never seen that plant - it's beautiful! I bet the beauty will be worth it after being in a greenhouse on a 90 degree day. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Balisha dear...I get a bit embarrassed when I think of you reading my blog and seeing my silly toe rings I've worn since I lost Patrick. Coveting shoes...that's just plain embarrassing. Growing things...coveting plants...that's different. WHY can I not be like that!? I DO love plants..and the one you drove to get is just beautiful. I hope it does well in the house. Seems I flit from one passion to another. Right now..it's making that laundry area in the garage half way bearable. It's hot and dark out there..but if I open the garage door and the back garage door to the patio...well..there is a glorious cross breeze.!
    Your plants are gorgeous. Did I tell you I finally got my "stepping stones" put into the ground... :)
    Here's the thing. PH is NOT fond of all the planting I do..and I'm nothing like you when it comes to plants.. He see's them as something that has to have care and he does NOT like that at all.
    Just looking at that sweet face of his, you would think he would be the sort that would love hearth and home..and...he does..just not plants. :( Or animals either. He tolerates Mele and my bird...but I know when they are gone..that will be it! I dread the day.
    I understand though. We are getting older.
    Thank you for not judging me too harshly..LOL Me and my toe rings, handbags and shoes! I'm a mess!!!
    Big hugs,
    Mona

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's always fun to add something new to the garden. This is a real beauty and is new to me. So glad you did not have to pay shipping costs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Last year you wrote about your Stacked Planter and I just had to order one. Then you showed pictures of your Purple Hyacinth Seed plant and I just had to order some seeds--which then entailed me buying a large pot and a trellis for said plant to climb. NOW--you show this lovely plant--I do love the way the flowers trail downward. They remind me of some sort of Origami paper chain or something, so now--I must have this plant or...3 to put in my containers. I'm going to have to get a job to afford all the lovelies that you show. You do know that Coveting is one of the Seven Deadly Sins--there may be a penance for it--let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's beautiful..I can see why you wanted some! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Balisha! You are s funny! Covet..indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful color and form ~ like Judy they remind me of origami or Japanese lanterns. So glad you were able to find the plant locally.

    I'm glad you enjoyed Joan Anderson's book. I have since read "An Unfinished Marriage," which I liked as well. Her first book is the one I will go back to again and again because it was the start of her journey, and I am often drawn to "first" books.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is great. I like it too. Worth the trip in the heat!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That combination of pink,cream and green. Lovely. Not a plant I am familiar with.

    ReplyDelete