Simply Balisha

Simply Balisha

Thursday, June 26, 2014

Company's Coming


Company's Coming


I'm up this morning before the birds..
Company's coming.. used to love those words.
The swiffer and I have a date today..
No one had better get in my way.
I went outside and tidied the flowers..
In between some very light showers.
The bathrooms will sparkle....oh yes they will..
Some posies were gathered to sit on the sill.
The Roomba sits there...alone in the corner..
He reminds me now of Little Jack Horner.
He'll get a workout this morning at eight..
The rugs in the house will look just great.
The Pledge on the dust cloth will polish the table..
I'll get to it as soon as I'm able.
The food, I'll get ready as soon as I can..
I'm winding down...please get me a fan.
I'll just sit here a minute or two..
And catch my breath so I don't turn blue.
Oh, why do I always behave like this..
Our family won't mind if a few jobs I'll miss.
They come to see us, not our house it's true.
I'll rest in a minute...I've more housework to do.
When they get here at last and come in the door..
After all the hellos and greetings galore.
I'll smile to myself and say with a grin...
"Getting ready twas nothing...now do come in."

Let's face it...we all try to put our best foot forward when company is coming. Our company, Joe's relatives,  are visiting from a long distance and we don't see them very often. We have some coming from Florida and some from Wisconsin and some from right here in Illinois. I do want everything to look nice and also I would like to relax and enjoy these folks while they are here. In years past, I would be in a frenzy by now. Cleaning and cooking up a storm. Since I've aged and grown a little wizer....that has come to a stop. I now start a week before...tidying the kitchen. Making sure that everything is handy for getting the food around. Clear the counter tops as best I can, brushing the crumbs out of the silverware drawer, making sure that the fridge is ready for lots of food, .....you know the drill. Now, just a couple of days before, I vacuum the house using my Roomba and dust the furniture. The bathrooms are cleaned at the very last. In all the years of entertaining...I've learned one thing, as soon as people get here... it doesn't really matter if I've cleaned everything. They come in and make themselves comfortable and don't even look at the "cleaning" I did. My son called and asked if Friday would be a good day for me to go to the Nicholas Conservatory and out to lunch. I thought about it for just a minute. Normally, I would say, "Can we do it another day....I've got company coming." It only took a minute before I told him that I would love to go. The house is fine....just the way it is. After all....these people are coming to see us...not our house.
Balisha






13 comments:

  1. LOL! I'm working on making my little cottage presentable at all time in case of 'drop ins', and for myself.

    I hope you have a lovely time with company.

    FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We keep it pretty neat here, so it's not a big job when company comes. Hope you don't work too hard and are able to enjoy summer.
      Balisha

      Delete
  2. You had me laughing from the picture on....what a cute and funny poem! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks....sometime I feel like that picture. :)

      Delete
  3. I saw your doll and I want it to post some time. can I? do you live in town ? you shouls eat home grown beef or pork. the best there is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You sure can....I sort of took it from the internet, so it's not mine. We do live in town. My husband was a butcher for years. I love critters so much that I think I would have trouble eating one of my "pets" LOL
      Joe still cuts meat for us.

      Delete
  4. I had a friend who said, "If we can stand it 24/7, you gals can stand it for a couple of hours." It was a HDU group. Remember those? We had a lot of fun with her and her place was always spotless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't remember HDU groups. Was that like homemaker's extension?

      Delete
    2. I believe the name was Home Demonstration Unit. They were to show homemakers hints, ideas and better ways to do stuff. And an excuse to get together, visit and eat something scrumptious!

      Delete
  5. I had a friend that used to clean house AFTER the party. No one ever noticed anything untidy when we all crowded in her house--like you say, we weren't there to look at her house cleaning skills, but to see her and her hubby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a pretty good idea. We have a few close relatives who are neat freaks....they always make me nervous.

      Delete
  6. I'm in the same boat. Company coming around the 4th of July and staying for several days. One is a vegetarian or a vegan and doesn't eat sugar. Oh dear....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My daughter is a vegetarian and doesn't eat sugar. She hasn't for years. I've learned to prepare things that she can eat. She's not vegan, however. That would be much harder.
      One of our company doesn't eat wheat....so I just put lots of things out and don't really make anything special. I figure they will find something that they can tolerate. Summer is easier...fresh fruits and veggies are so abundant ...salads.....even soups. Good luck. Balisha

      Delete