Simply Balisha

Simply Balisha

Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Just an Ordinary Day





It was time for bed and we expected a stormy night. Joe had his new weather radio all set. I was hoping for a quiet night..and a good night's sleep. I knew that I would have to be Joe's ears....carefully listening for our county. It only went off 2 times. Once as we were just in bed and another time around 4. Joe has become my eyes...I can't read the clock across the room anymore. We are quite a pair here. I told him that I married him to open jars and read small print for me. I think he married me to be able to use my very sensitive ears. (I can hear a pin drop.) We came through the night safely and are still under a storm watch until 9am.The weather radio worked well.

The good thing about the weather was the nice rain that soaked my gardens. I gave some things a drink yesterday, but there's nothing like a drink from Mother Nature. The lilies are opening...big, bright, orange ones. These are planted in several places around the yard. Not my favorite color, but they don't last long and look so pretty while they are blooming. Roses are blooming as well. The knockouts, that I thought we'd lost, are revived in my garden next to the drive. Martha (the geranium) is starting to bloom her head off. The Clematis...beautiful this year.My Stack n Grow is lushly overflowing with petunias.

I was looking around the garden at the things I will want to bring in this fall...to spend the winter indoors. I think that there are 7 plants that I will be taking care of in the winter. Does every gardener do this....think about the next season before the present one is over? I have to remind myself to enjoy each day as it comes....and not be looking ahead so much :)

I called yesterday, neighborday. We had several neighbors stop by for a visit. My friend Betty, who lives up the road, is struggling with something that many of us have gone through. An aging mother who needs help right now. We shared a conversation and I told her about my past experiences with Mom and Dad. It seemed to help, in a way, knowing that we all go through this. At a point in our lives we become the parent. So hard to deal with at the time. I told her to do her best...that when her mom is gone, she will not have any guilt feelings.She will know that she did her best and gave her mom love and comfort.

The next visitor was a fellow a couple of doors away. He had come to talk to Joe, but talked a bit about our raccoon problem. He's the one who traps and releases them. Now, he says that he has seen a coyote or large gray fox in his yard. We also have a black bear in our area....people are taking pictures as this bear travels through neighborhoods. Oh my....what have we done? Destroying the green space and putting these poor animals out of their homes....But that's a subject for another day.

Today promises to be pretty warm, but cloudy. I have a hair appt. and we will eat a light meal today. Probably BLT's.  Not much planned for today....nice to have a day like that once in a while.I actually got my knitting out yesterday and sat in the front yard while the sprinkler gave the hostas a drink. I have a little funny
story to share. A while back a neighbor from down the road... was here to ask us to vote for someone she was backing. We didn't really know each other and in talking she mentioned seeing an old lady sitting in our yard in a green chair...just watching the sprinkler. I burst out laughing....I said, "I'm that old lady." I think she was embarrassed, but I thought it was funny.I still think about it when I sit out there.
Balisha

4 comments:

  1. An OLD LADY just sitting in the yard? I would NOT be voting for her OR her friend, LOL. They probably think you are senile!! I had one of those NOAA radio's--rather Fred did. I gave it away because it would SCREAM whenever anything was happening in the whole county--not necessarily near me. Scared me many a time during the night to tell of a flood warning 30 miles away. It scared me worse than the storms, LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had one of those radios a couple of years ago. Since then, our weather man has been talking about these new ones that can be programmed for just our area. It has all the counties and Joe just set it for ours. So, it's not going off all the time. The other one was very annoying...especially in the middle of the night.
      Balisha

      Delete
  2. At our age normal days begin to be so appreciated. Glad the storm did not cause you problems and certainly one can tell the difference when garden has been soaked by rain rather than a hose. The plants seem to know!! Great to be surrounded by friendly neighbours. Not everyone is these days. Going to browse through your posts but forgive me for not commenting on all. Life has been particularly busy and I'm having IT problems with Google.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Barbara,...I really appreciate the time you take to comment on so many of my posts. Especially when you are having IT problems with google. It's true what you say about normal days at our age.
    I'm going to go and read some of your posts now....Have a wonderful weekend coming up.
    Balisha

    ReplyDelete