Simply Balisha

Simply Balisha

Monday, December 1, 2014

Houseplants At Christmas


The geraniums in the window are getting huge. They are reaching out from the garden window and touching my arm. One blossom so far and lots of pretty leaves. I decided that, while I love the leaves....it doesn't leave me much room for other plants. So, saying that, I cut them back. I don't know about you, but this is hard for me. I feel so badly that the plant has grown so beautifully and whack....the leaves are cut down. I guess as Christopher Robin used to say to Winnie the Pooh...Silly Old Bear.........  Silly Old Balisha.  

            

Another plant is growing by leaps and bounds....the Red Lion Amaryllis. This started blooming a few days before Thanksgiving. I love the vibrant color. The little poinsettia was a hostess gift from my daughter in law. Pretty little pot with my favorite the cardinal.
            
The ivy topiary, brought up from the basement is sitting and waiting to be decorated for Christmas. I started this just this past summer and it's coming along nicely. Looking around at all the plants...will we have room for Christmas decorations :) 

        

           
The orchids that have been front and center for a couple of months say, "Don't forget us, Balisha." They are sending out lots of buds for new blooms. These were bought at the grocery store during a breast cancer promotion in Oct. What a buy....better than any bouquet for the same amount of money. What flowering plant can you buy... that will last that long and now will last long after Christmas. I think that I have finally found the place for them during the winter. It meant closing off one of our heat vents, but who needs heat when you can have flowers :) Put on another layer of clothes I say.
     
Finally we come to the creature in the guest room. She needs her own window. This aloe has been in my care for 2 yrs. She started out in a 4 in pot....bought at WalMart. You can see the pot in the picture of the geraniums.....behind Paddington Bear. I never realized how big she was getting. Leaning out of the pot and looking like a giant starfish. She's always been in the south window in the front of the house. I water her when I remember. Maybe a 1/4 cup....just once in a while. I guess that's the secret...don't overdo on the watering. Because she is in a room that we don't use very much....I can neglect her.Poor thing....now that she's graced the pages of my blog....I'll pamper her with kindness and maybe even hang an ornament on her long arms :) Then she'll die...I better just leave her alone. 

Now you see the plants that keep me company during the cold months in the house. I give them TLC...tidying them up by removing the dead leaves and dried up blooms. Scratching the surface of their potting soil and adding fresh in the fall. Fertilizing very little. Watering the geraniums every other day...the others less often. Giving them the light that they require....and sharing my life inside. They give me comfort.

Now on to Christmas decorating. We did the front porch yesterday and today will start on the inside. So, let the holidays begin...I have the decorating bug. Just a little this year....just enough to make us happy.
Balisha


12 comments:

  1. You have a gorgeous greenhouse going there...such a lovely variety!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try not to have too many plants. Oh, how I wish I could have had a greenhouse, but I guess it's not in the cards for me as I grow old. Too much care involved. Funny thing...if I had one, no one would ever see me :)

      Delete
  2. I think I saw a Paddington Bear in the first photo...! Everyone loves the new film, that has just been released over here. I hope to go and see it next weekend. Has it been released in America too. Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is Paddington. My daughter brought it to me from England. I love this bear and also Winnie the Pooh. I'm anxious to see the film.

      Delete
  3. Your houseplants are lovely. I have never been successful growing in pots. They look so cheerful growing in your home. Have fun decorating.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your indoor Christmas plants look so healthy. You have an indoor and an outdoor green thumb.

    Happy Christmas holidays ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holy green thumb! Your plants look great! and so good for the inside air,
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looking good! My aloe veras got huge this summer. When I brought them in, they wouldn't fit on the shelf I'd been using for them the last few years. Repotting in the spring.
    Thanks for sharing your indoor garden.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Balisha, I never have much luck with indoor plants. I either over or under water them. The weather has my garden completely confused, and I have lupins and sweetpeas in full bloom, and my lavender has started shooting up again. I am having spring bulbs delivered later today, (about 600) all mixed. I think if we manage to get them in by the end of the week they'll be Ok. I couldn't put them in earlier because my border annuals were still going strong. I'm really looking forward to the planting (well, sort of) I dread to think what my back will be like. lol. Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your indoor plants are beautiful! I'm a plant lover myself and have a bunch in my house. Unfortunately, one of my kitties (the naughty one - Monkey) loves to munch on my spider plants (regular leaves and the "babies"). I have never used fertilizer on any of my houseplants and they've always done fine.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh--I am so envious. I once had a house with many large windows and so many plants that people would kid they felt they were entering a jungle. Now--small house, a few large windows and...a cat that will eat every plant I bring in!!! Dagnabbit!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your plants look like mine
    only not enough room inside this cottage
    like homes in the past.
    Very little decorating here by the woods
    this year
    but just enough to please me...

    ReplyDelete