Simply Balisha

Simply Balisha

Thursday, December 11, 2014

Gingerbread Men Falling From the Sky

The story of the gingerbread man has always been a favorite of mine. I love the part where it says, "Run, run, run...fast as you can. You can't catch me, I'm the Gingerbread man." Little kids always love to chime in during that part of the story.

I love to eat gingerbread. It was a dessert that we had during the winter at our house so many times. Mom would take it out of the oven just before dinner and always had a sauce to pour over it. A lemon sauce was my favorite. I don't know why it isn't served more these days. An easy dessert that can be baked in an 8X8 pan and for families...eaten at one time.

Gingerbread cookies are something that I made many times in the past. They are time consuming, but a gingerbread man...wrapped in cellophane with a red ribbon would make anyone smile.

One year I used them for decorating. We had a wide doorway from the kitchen into the dining room. I put holes in the top of the "men" and when they were cool, I attached a red ribbon to each of them and hung them across the doorway. It was winter and my youngest had a cold. We were using the vaporizer at the time and over a few days the cookies softened. They started to fall to the floor. Our dog, Cubby, found that she could lie just under the cookies and get a treat once in a while. Food just fell out of the sky...magic, she thought. I don't know how many she ate before I figured out what was happening. I had to take them down and put them on the tree instead...way up high.

Today is cloudy...so many cloudy days so far this season. I need to mail a package and do some errands. 

Have a nice day...doing something special,
Balisha

Just added this picture. Our little great grand making gingerbread.

8 comments:

  1. That is a precious story about the doggie catching the gingerbread men. I remember my mom baking gingerbread in a square pan and glazing the top with either lemon or apple juice with sugar. So good. I also have a fond memory of visiting Williamsburg one Christmas and eating a gingerbread man by one of the many bonfires.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always associate gingerbread with Christmas. I would love to have gone to Williamsburg. It seems that gingerbread was enjoyed by people in Colonial times.

      Delete
  2. We have a family cake recipe known as 'Parkin'. It's a ginger cake with oats and treacle that was traditionally made in the North of the UK. It's great at any time... but is especially good after a cold winter walk! Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to look up treacle. That cake sounds like something I would like. If you would....share the recipe please.
      Balisha

      Delete
  3. Thank you Balisha for calling in on me, please call again. Love your gingerbread man. He looks good enough to eat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed my visit yesterday. I will be reading your posts regularly. We love feeding the birds and then watching their antics.
      Balisha

      Delete
  4. Your posts bring back so many memories for me. We sure did a lot, back in the day...now, not so much. I loved gingerbread, warm on a cold winter's night. Mother made some kind of sauce to put on it, as I remember. Daddy didn't like Lemon, so it must have just been a sugar, water, cooked down sort of sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Look at that little cutie with his cookies! Adorable!

    ReplyDelete