Simply Balisha

Simply Balisha

Monday, July 21, 2014

A Monday in July

Here's my stack n grow all in bloom. As you can see, I've had a little help in planting this. There's a very tall flower growing in the back. A sunflower......planted by my constant "helper" in the garden...... my little friend the chipmunk. I know that he's the same one who visits everyday, by his behavior. Joe's not crazy about him, but I love to watch him...as he scurries around while I garden. 
The sunflower is about to open...so another picture soon.
Our weekend began with Sat. night Mass. Then a couple, who are friends, wanted us to go to White Pines for dinner. This is a favorite spot of mine...all woodsy and so beautiful. It was such beautiful night and a wedding was going on next to the little restaurant. We could hear music in the dining room and looking out the window, we had a bird's eye view of the fun they were having. In our dining room, a birthday party was going on. It was for a woman who turned 100 yrs old that day. She was there with family members and a few former students of hers, when she was a teacher. Her son came over to our table and brought some cake to share. I went over to wish her a Happy Birthday and mentioned that I would imagine that she was tired after celebrating all day. She said no, that she was enjoying herself, but would be able to sleep well that night. She was a lovely woman...dressed in a simple flowered cotton dress and wearing a beautiful corsage. 
We ordered our food. Joe had a steak, Jeanine had chicken breast over rice pilaf, her husband had ribs, and I had salmon. Our food was excellent. My salmon....moist and grilled to perfection. 
Sunday found us not wanting much food. We decided to drive to Crystal Lake to see Joe's son and his partner. She fell down some stairs at work and broke one leg and badly sprained the other. There she sat, one leg in a cast and the other in an inflated boot. She can't put any pressure on the one leg and very little on the other. I felt so sorry for her...I put myself in her position and wondered if I could handle it as well as she is. She has needed help with everything, but now she is learning how to live with this. Dan is making her situation as good as it can be...by being patient, cooking, cleaning, his job, and catering to most every need. I know that she will come out of this OK, because she is a strong woman. But sometimes even strong women need some tender loving care..
I got word on Friday, that grandson Collin has Lyme disease. They caught it right away and started antibiotics. He's just got the rash and no other symptoms. The tick bite is very easy to identify....a huge red swelling with a red ring around it. He's such an outdoors kid....his dad joked that they were going to get him a flea and tick collar. 
Well, here we are on Monday....going to get hot and humid. I have things done around the garden and all I have to do is water the containers. The house is in order and we will eat a light meal later today.
Have a nice day where ever you are...
Balisha 


19 comments:

  1. Hello Balisha,
    I love the stacked container and the wonderful bonus sunflower. Nature decorates all by itself.
    Your trip out to White Pines sounds so lovely and how amazing to meet a lovely centarian.
    I really look forward to your writing and adventures!
    Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved meeting her. She was a proper English teacher....her students at her table were in their 80's. They were having the best time. I loved to see this.

      Delete
  2. Thanks, Balisha! You have a nice day too. I love your jar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it too, but next year I may make a few changes.

      Delete
  3. Your flowers are so bright and pretty in that container garden!

    Sounds like a great weekend ! I am glad that they caught that and got him on antibiotics right away!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Deb,
      It was a nice weekend. We were so full after dinner Sat. nite...that we both said that we just wanted soup yesterday. I don't usually eat that late and going to be on a full stomach ugh!
      Collin is working and going on with his life. I haven't talked to him to find out if he's tired or feels badly, but his dad says no.

      Delete
  4. Your stacked flower arrangement is wonderful!

    Sorry about Joe's son's partner and her broken and sprained legs. Glad he is taking good care of her. It will take time, but she'll soon be back up on her feet once again.

    Glad the lyme disease was caught in time.

    Have a good week ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melody is a determined gal. She won't be down long. She has already figured out many ways of doing for herself. I had to laugh...she said that she was so glad that she had given herself a pedicure just the day before.

      Delete
  5. That chipmunk must have a degree in floral design...he/she planted that sunflower in the perfect spot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He did....he just picked a cup with a small plant in it and plopped his little seed there. I've seen him scamper up the petunias to get to the bird feeder above.

      Delete
  6. The stacked garden is so pretty. We had a "resident" chipmunk once and we would put out a little shallow dish of water for him!
    What a nice dinner you all enjoyed. The food sounds delicious and how grand that the 100 yr old had such a nice party. Glad they caught the tick bite early - too cute about the collar!!! So sorry about your son's partner falling. That would really be debilitating. God bless your evening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feed him a peanut once in a while. I haven't seen a snake this summer, so he's safe to run around.
      Thanks for the comment on my planter. Read my comment to Judy below.

      Delete
  7. I may have to STEAL your picture for my Stack n Grow next year. I love it. Mine is looking a bit seedy. We are in the hot and humids the next couple of days too. We usually get the same weather you have, a few hours or day later. I'm glad they caught the Lyme Disease early--it can be so miserable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judy...they aren't as easy care as I thought from last year. The flowers need constant watering and I try to deadhead everyday. The petunias are waves and shouldn't need deadheading. I've cut them back a couple of times. The smaller cascading plants are hidden under the petunias. Joe really likes this, but I feel that planting a geranium in each cup and three on top (like last year's) looks neater and is much easier to take care of. I turn it everyday too. By now the plants roots are filling the cups and they have nothing to cling to. Wouldn't succulents be nice?

      Delete
  8. Best wishes for your family. Hope everyone recovers well.
    I really like your planter including the sunflower!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melody is busy learning to crochet. I took her some supplies and a Dummy crochet book and Collin is able to work. So, everything is going smoothly now. We were really worried about all of this a couple of days ago.

      Delete
  9. I love the way the little chipmunk planted the sunflower in the perfect spot. I tried to make my own stack n grow this year. Now it looks more like tipsy pots. All of the pots have shifted in different directions as the soil washed out from under them during watering. It would be my "gardening fail" for the year, except the plants in it have done pretty well. Next year maybe I will buy a "real" stack n grow.

    It sounds like you had a great day out and a wonderful meal, too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your stacked garden is just beautiful. I always love the surprise of finding something growing I didn't plant. (weeds excluded)

    ReplyDelete
  11. thinking of you this evening as I read what is going on.
    your flower is beautiful.
    having computer problems :(

    ReplyDelete