Simply Balisha

Simply Balisha

Sunday, August 31, 2014

White After Labor Day??

I've always been told that you shouldn't wear white after Labor Day. I now wonder....where did that come from? I was reading about Labor Days past and found that after the civil war, many snobbish upper class women set down some silly rules about fashion. They wanted to be fashionable, and their choices in color would tell them who the people in the know really were. In those days when Sept. came, it might have been more sensible to wear white...because of the extreme heat and no air conditioning, but if you were in the know....you suffered with heavy dark colors. White was for weddings, picnics, outdoor band concerts, and ice cream socials. Labor Day came into being in 1894 and society adopted this date to stop wearing white.

Not everyone followed this rule. Many women in society still wore white...rebels that they were. The famous fashion designer, Coco Chanel wore white year round. This rule was enforced by only a few hundred socialites, but by the 1950's women's magazines got the ball rolling, so to speak, and everyone started to follow.

Today pretty much anything goes, but wearing white after Labor Day is one rule that many adhere to....just because of some uppity women over 100 yrs ago.

I've never worn a lot of white. A pair of white pants, a pair of cropped pants.... is about all I can think of in my wardrobe. I've never liked white shoes. Except for white bucks and saddle shoes in the 1950's.....and then at that time....I followed the trends. After all everyone else had saddle shoes. To tell the truth, I didn't really like them....I would much rather wear a pair of penny loafers. 
So, this is a rule that is not hard for me to follow. 

Tomorrow we move the calendar ahead another month. Time is moving fast and before we know it Christmas will be upon us with all the preparations that holiday imposes on us. Let's try to breathe and relax and have a pleasant fall. The kids are back in school, the cicadas are buzzing, the leaves are falling, the gardens are less work, more time to sit on the porch, cider to sip, those delicious apple cider donuts are at the market, soon pumpkins and gourds at farm stands, fall festivals, comforters on the bed, a cozy fire in the fireplace. Oh, it's a lot to look forward to......but first....put those white shoes back in the closet. 

Balisha

9 comments:

  1. Not me, Balisha! I'm one of those rebels who wear white year around if I want to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't follow the trends very often, but because I don't like white shoes and have few white pieces of clothing....this trend is easy for me to follow.

      Delete
  2. This is a wonderful post, Balisha...the rites of summer passing and another new month and season following. Yep, I agree that white not being worn after labor day has always played a part in my life...passed down from yore and even my daughters follow along with this idea. And I'm like you...I abhor white shoes. And I bought a pair of white jeans...straight legged and very stylish, but have never worn them...just don't like them now that I have them!!!

    Not ready to let go of summer but loving the anticipation of autumn! :)

    Jane xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I worked in a hospital for several years and wore white everyday. So, maybe that's where it comes from.....but I really don't think so...I just don't like white clothing or shoes in cold weather. Now, if I lived in Florida or some tropical place....I may feel differently.
      I'm not ready to let go of summer either. I have loved this summer.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Isn't it great that we all can have different opinions?

      Delete
  4. I wear my white sneakers/walking shoes year round, but...I'm sorry, living in Michigan, I just can't wear white slacks or shoes or purse after Labor Day...I just can't! What would my grandma say? When I vacationed in Florida, in the winter, it was a whole different thing, LOL. I guess it depends on the climate of where we live? Thanks for the history lesson--I did not know any of that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great Information sharing .. I am very happy to read this article .. thanks for giving us go through info.Fantastic nice. I appreciate this post.Labor Day Deals

    ReplyDelete