Simply Balisha

Simply Balisha

Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Purple Hyacinth Beans


Purple Hyacinth Beans are the easiest to grow. The vines are not unruly or bullyish. (That was a word I made up) They will happily climb a trellis that is holding up a couple of tomato plants like in my garden. They don't require any care at all during the summer. Just a watering when dry. You get pretty purple flowers and then the leathery burgundy-purple pods start forming. Soon the pods are everywhere. Mine are still producing pods....even in Sept. The pods get dry and they are ready to pick. I did that just today. After I picked many, I brought them in the house and got my scissors out and started cutting one side of the pod open.

 And........surprise. Just look at those unusual seeds. Every one is the same. They look like black buttons.
I just love this simple carefree vine. It has brought me such pleasure all summer long. It's still green with burgundy purple veining on the leaves. Soon, I'll have to cut it down. It's one thing that I will miss during the winter. Next spring, I can do it again and watch this beauty all through the summer and into fall.

Balisha

An Update...


Here they are one day later...ready to take this little bundle home. They are so excited...


7 comments:

  1. Purple hyacinth beans sound like a great flowering vine to grow. Those seeds are really neat looking.

    Hurray for the young family, going home with newest, sweet member.

    Love and hugs to you dear Balisha ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just going to ask you how to "harvest" my Purple Hyacinth Beans. thanks!
    Home the next day. Can you remember, back in the day, we got to stay in hospital for at least 4 days, rest and relax and get rejuvenated before we went home to those endless, sleepless nights. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an adorable family photo!
    You have made me want to plant a purple hyacinth bean plant next year.
    Wishing you a very nice week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My grandson keeps checking the pods...three are brown and crackling now so he's going to be excited to see 'buttons' inside the next time he's here!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My grandson keeps checking the pods...three are brown and crackling now so he's going to be excited to see 'buttons' inside the next time he's here!

    ReplyDelete
  6. awww, what a darling family....
    Those seeds are downright pretty. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's time to harvest the seeds if your pods are dried. If you pick them too early....you can leave them in a bowl and wait till they are dry inside the house.

    Judy....She's got lots of help. Dave has the next two weeks off work and her mother is taking some time off to help out too. Their family is always there to help. I do remember coming home a little later. and still being swamped with bottles, sterilizers, crying baby, no sleep etc. Things have changed in home care...so it's a little easier now. I think that they get them out of the hospital early because of infections.

    ReplyDelete