Simply Balisha

Simply Balisha

Thursday, September 18, 2014

A Donut Helps Me Garden


d
Oh my...how things have changed in a year. I was full of energy and did a few things around the house before I went out. Fall is coming fast and there's so much to do in the garden. I wanted to get a "jump" on the cleanup this year. The lawn cart was waiting by the door....the sun was shining......the neighborhood was buzzing with the sound of chainsaws, I was ready. Donning my favorite denim jacket...out I went and started in. I decided to clear the garden of lawn ornaments that I usually leave out for another month. Back and forth I went....carrying these things to their storage place. Ahhhhhh......the fresh air filled my lungs as I proceeded. Everything in the front yard is put away and now on to the big chore.....cutting things back and pulling things up. I felt badly when I dumped Martha Washington (geranium) into the compost heap. She performed well all year and now she's pooped :) I did a few things prematurely, but I have to work when the "spirit moves me." I put down my clippers and wiped my brow. A whole lawn cart full. Whew! Gardening is a workout. I rested a bit and then decided to come in a take it easy and write this post. Now, looking out the window....I start to feel that I might just call it a day....and eat a pumpkin donut :).

Balisha

7 comments:

  1. Your flowers still look beautiful
    and there not much here to look at.
    Worked outside at dawn
    and then inside
    cooking and late breakfast
    now back outside again.
    Need to clean hummingbird feeders
    they are still here.
    This weather is glorius
    cannot stay inside...

    ReplyDelete
  2. After writing this I went back out and did a few more things. Now, I'm in for the day. Maybe bringing a little fall decorating in the house. I don't do much anymore, but I love the fall colors and pumpkins and berries. I guess I love all the seasons.
    Have a nice afternoon.
    Balisha

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you earned that pumpkin donut! It feels good to check some things off the to-do list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A few days ago I got an early start getting some of the fall gardening tasks done. Not having seen any hummingbirds in several days, I cut and saved the flowers for seed from one of my zinnia beds and tore the plants out of the ground. Then I managed to pull one of the planters with ornamental grass and green and purple sweet potato vines over to the now bare dirt zinnia bed. The planter looks so much better there than the end-of-the-season frowzy zinnias did. I sat down on the garden bench to rest and cool down than here came a hummingbird. There was still one bed of zinnias left for him, but he seemed drawn to the red mandevilla and nicotiana flowers. I never saw hummingbirds at those plants this summer until he was there. I think he was just migrating through the neighborhood and stopped by for a sip. The next cool weather days we have, I plan on bringing in all of my colored glass pieces that I put in amongst the flowers. That pumpkin donut sounds like it would be so good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Of course now I am craving a donut !! :(

    Your flowers there are just stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I gotta get started on the outside clean-up too. I like doing it--I just hate seeing the trimmed down perennials. I have spring blubs to plant this fall too. Gosh--I think I better get started!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your garden, Balisha! And you work so hard!

    ReplyDelete