Simply Balisha

Simply Balisha

Saturday, September 27, 2014

My Stir Fry

I love stir fries.....That being said, I don't get stir fries right most of the time. The veggies are supposed to be crispy not mushy. If I could do it for myself only, I could do it right. But cooking for others is another story. Excuses...the phone rings, a bathroom visit, washing hands, the doorbell rings,one last thing on the computer.....so many excuses results in mushy stir fry. Yesterday, I fixed a stir fry and was determined that we would get it right. Here's how I did it...

I took some extra firm tofu and put it in my colander and let it drain for a bit. Then I patted it dry with paper towels. Cut it into small squares and put it in the already hot olive oil in my pan. It popped and sizzled....when it was starting to brown, I added some chopped red onion, a little chopped celery, and sliced portabella mushrooms. I wanted to get some flavor into the tofu. I had a package of broccoli florets and added those, some grated carrots and some snow peas. I put the lid on for just a few minutes. I then added a can of bean sprouts, and some Kikoman Stir Fry Sauce. We sat down to eat a delicious stir fry....it wasn't mushy.

I enjoy the portabella mushrooms because they are meatier than the regular button mushrooms that I usually use. The longer you cook them the meatier they get. I learned to store them in a paper bag in the refrigerator, because stored in plastic makes them moist. I love them stuffed with a bread stuffing, grilled, in a sandwich with a slice of tomato....Oh, I could be a vegetarian I think...if I could have these every day.

Then there is tofu...A lot of people turn up their noses at just the name. They think it is some hippie food. I mainly use it in stir fries, but on occasion, I have added leftover tofu to homemade ranch dressing, and scrambled eggs.
I love stir fry in the morning....cold right out of the fridge.

Today, I'll be working in the basement...getting my work area ready for winter. I like to wash the windows and vacuum everything so it is sparkling clean....just so I can mess it up with wreath making, painting, planting bulbs to force, and other messy jobs :)

Balisha

8 comments:

  1. Your stir fry looks delicious. My husband loves mushrooms. Have fun working in the basement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i did get most of what I wanted done. It was hard working down there on such a beautiful day, but all of our days are beautiful lately.

      Delete
  2. That looks delicious. Have fun cleaning so you can have fun crafting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did a couple of crafty things while I was cleaning :)

      Delete
  3. Oh my
    you just shared my favorite recipe
    Usually add shrimp to mine :
    I keep frozen shrimp in the freezer
    may make tonight
    but not going back to town
    for mushrooms
    and bean sprouts - which I love...
    Have a good weekend
    and my books
    will soon begin
    and thank you...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I put shrimp in mine once in a while too.
      Glad i could be of some help with your books.
      Balisha

      Delete
  4. It looks delicious, Balisha. Funny story just came to mind. There's a local Japanese steakhouse that cooks the meal in front of you...you know the kind that I mean.
    Anyway, last year at some point, my DIL's little boy said to her " I am SCARED of Chinese people!! " " Why", she asked? "Because of all of their FIRES!" he said. " And KNIVES!" At first she thought he had seen something on TV ....sounded like a war movie!? !
    In the end, it was all about a visit a few weeks earlier to the Japanese steakhouse! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those guys scare me too......but fun to watch. I love Japanese restaurants, but Joe doesn't care for the food...a meat and potatoes man :)
      We went to a birthday party once and it was really entertaining.

      Delete