Simply Balisha

Simply Balisha

Friday, January 2, 2015

Looking Ahead One Day at a Time

I begin the new year by hanging a new calendar. I pick one out for the breakfast nook and next to my computer. Every fall, a favorite thing to do is go through the calendars for the new year at Amazon. What one to choose? Joe says, "With all the free calendars that we get...you still need to buy one?" I needn't remind him that he chooses one with Springer Spaniels each year :)

I appreciate a beautiful piece of artwork on my wall. Look forward to turning the page to see the next month. I never look ahead....the element of surprise is what I love. I have chosen ones by Susan Branch so often. I keep some of these throughout the years and sometimes use them in my own artwork. Lately I have chosen a narrow one by Susan Winget. It fits next to my computer in a narrow space on the wall. With my vision changing, I may have to choose a new one next year....one with bigger squares. Her calendars always show the warmth of country living. Quilts, apples, flags, pumpkins and snow men with a few flowers mixed in fill the pages of her calendars. I enjoy reading about the artist at the end of the calendar. As I hang my new calendar, I can picture her working in her studio at home...on next year's calendar.

 Then there is the calendar that we put in a wooden frame on the wall in our breakfast nook. I sit at the table and look ahead to see the beautiful artwork of the month. This calendar is the creation of Annie LaPoint. There is a piece of scripture on each page. The pages are full of mossy green flower pots...(most of them are terra cotta) and ivy topiary, vintage gardening tools, favorite flowers and seasonal things. Since I love ivy, topiary, terra cotta and moss...this is a no brainer for me. I love reading the little bit of scripture too.
I have bought one by this artist for the past 3 yrs. I love reading about her life and her ministry...building Churches in poor communities. She and her husband are working with volunteer groups to build Mi Casa Children's Home in Mexico....soon many children will have a home. 

So, as I hang my new calendar, I look forward to a new year. One filled with hope and promise. 
I hope that you all have God's peace and I promise to continue with this blog as long as I am able. 
Balisha

7 comments:

  1. Hi Balisha, I have read your blog for a long time. I enjoy it very much! I too get the Lang Heart and Home
    calendar. I get it every year. Happy New Year to you and your family. Bobbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bobbie,
    Thanks for leaving a comment. I hope that you enjoy your time here. We have the same taste in calendars. I have bought the Lang calendars for years....they are such good quality and never disappoint.
    Come again,
    Balisha

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love new calendars too. We seem to favor animals and I always get a Thomas Kincaid for the frame holder in our kitchen.
    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Her calendars sound almost like a blog--you can read her life. I also have a nice calendar with big squares where I can write down each family birthday and the age they will be (so I don't forget) and doc appointments, etc. Mine is not pretty. I used to make calendars every year for Christmas gift to family. It had pictures from the previous year and everyone's picture on their birth date. Everyone love them, but they got too expensive for me to make anymore. I did give my girl gifts of seeds off my Purple Hyacinth Bean plant and pictures and instructions. I hope they grow for them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made the mistake of waiting until December 31 to go to the bookstore to get my calendar this year. Oops, should have ordered online. I am like you, I enjoy the artwork on the calendars that I buy. Usually I choose calendars with paintings of gardens or nature or Susan Branch calendars. By the time I went to the bookstore all of those were gone, but there was one Kincaid left. It has some lovely scenes in it. On the upside, the calendars were priced at 50 percent off by New Years Eve day.

    I look forward to reading your blog posts for a long time to come.

    Happy New Year to you and your husband!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope 2015 is a really good year for you and your family. Jx
    PS - My calendar is of Simon's Cat (the little cartoons on You Tube).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Both are so pretty! I am over here playing catch-up. :)

    ReplyDelete