Simply Balisha

Simply Balisha

Sunday, January 4, 2015

An Afternoon with Maya

I watched something on TV that has really touched me. It was on Oprah's Master Class. I haven't watched many of these programs, but when I saw that Maya Angelou was going to be featured...I recorded it. Yesterday afternoon, as I sat here alone, I turned on this program and wasn't disappointed. Maya has a voice like no other. When she speaks.....you listen. Her soft gentle way is so soothing. I love her poems and love to hear her recite them.

Sometimes I get a little sad that I am approaching 80 yrs old in a couple of years. Maya began the interview by saying that she was celebrating her 80's...something she's looked forward to. She said, "My 60's were good and then the wonderful 70's and now the 80's are here." She looked like she was so full of joy. Here was a woman bubbling over with anticipation of what's to come. 

The interview went on telling about her life and then the program was only Maya....telling about some of her views on life. 

She said that words have power....watch your words. Be careful what words you use and let into your home. 

She said that God puts rainbows in our clouds. People who are kind can be a rainbow. We carry everyone who was ever kind to us in our daily lives. Those people are there to help us. Be a blessing to other people. 

When you have a choice in a questionable situation.... Just do right. This will satisfy your soul and no matter what happens....you will be peaceful with your decision. Be the best human being that you can be...at work, home, and your Church. Think about how people perceive you...decide to do better. 

She says we are all children of God. Thinks it amazing that the one who created a flea and a mountain created her. She says that she is a human being and nothing human can be alien to her. We have the same makeup as people who do bad things. We make a choice to do the right thing. 

She speaks of her grandmother and says that her grandma always said, "When you get.....give, When you learn.....teach."

She believes that Faith is the evidence of things unseen.

She ended with Love Liberates.


This remarkable woman died this past year. She was 86 yrs old. There are so many things on the internet about her. If you get to see Oprah's Master Class in reruns....take some time to watch...you won't be disappointed.

Balisha

10 comments:

  1. Balisha, I love her words
    and I might add
    just turned 80
    and happier and more at peace then ever.
    I kind of like it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The 80th birthday is such a milestone. Hope your year is a healthy and happy one. We have so much to be thankful for.
      Birthday Hugs....Balisha

      Delete
  2. I have an aunt that will turn 91 on the 17th. Her life has been filled with sorrow and trials. But still she is celebrating her age in many ways she still lives on her own with very little help. She helps the kids in the area with mittens and makes banana breads for the food pantry.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your aunt has the right idea....doing for others is a way of keeping on. I'm sure she gets as much out of giving as those who receive her gifts..
      Happy New Year...Balisha

      Delete
  3. Maya Angelou always had such words of wisdom, and the voice she spoke them with was great. Always such intelligent common sense ideas put in such a way as to make one stop and ponder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did stop and ponder....she has a way of calm. She hasn't always had a life like that, but as she has lived.... her life has changed for the better. She's done so much good in her lifetime. One of God's angels.
      Balisha

      Delete
  4. 'Just a note to say I hope you're feeling better now. I read that you've been sick. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an inspirational lady. Jx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always loved reading her poems and just listening to her also. She has such simple words of wisdom that make you look at life different. These words you speak of are just an example. Thanks for sharing. I hope the snow storm missed you. I woke up to 6 inches this morning and everything looks so white and pretty. It is good insulation for those plants with these freezing cold winds too.Makes for good days to stay in where it is warm and work on little projects. :) Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  7. checking on you
    super cold here
    headed for zero
    and do not like it.
    so painful at the moment
    but doing all I know to do.
    thinking of you
    take care...

    ReplyDelete