Simply Balisha

Simply Balisha

Tuesday, July 29, 2014

The Tiniest Lily

This is the tiniest lily in my yard. A Blackberry Lily brought from Washington DC. We went to visit Mount Vernon while I was in DC years ago and I saw this little lily growing there. As we were leaving, I noticed that you could buy a little plant. I bought it and wrapped it in a wet paper towel and then in a plastic baggy for the trip back to Illinois. It was planted in my garden and thrived there. When I was moving, this was one of the plants that I wanted to bring with me. So, now it grows here in Byron. I wait for it every year. Such a tiny bloom that later on will have a seed pod that resembles a blackberry. Shiny cluster of black seeds. I like to bring this little flower in for a tiny bouquet. 

I need to go to the grocery today. It won't be a chore because the weather is perfect. I don't know how most feel about this summer, but I am loving it. Cool mornings to get things done in the garden and warmer afternoons...but not hot and humid. 

I better get going....I may come back later.
Balisha

8 comments:

  1. What a lovely little lily and love the history of it...We are enjoying record lows here in MD this summer. So much nicer than the hot and humid we usually have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never seen a lily like that! And to think, it came from Mount Vernon? I would treasure it and take it with me whenever I moved too! I am loving this summer too--however, I did have to turn on the furnace for a few minutes this morning. It was 60 degrees in here, of course, I had the windows open all night, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a pretty lily...how neat that you were able to move it with you!

    I'm loving the weather, too and off to the store. My weather report says rain this afternoon and then all week. But they haven't been too on the mark.

    Jane xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. This blackberry lily grew at the home we shared with my late mom. It has always been a favorite. Thanks for sharing your pretty bouquet with us. Brings back fond memories. Glad you are enjoying good weather. Have a blessed evening.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That lily is so sweet. I'm really impressed you've been able to move it so well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The foliage in the picture isn't the lily's. I put some Lady's Mantle leaves in the vase too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful lilies! The plant on my blog is a Japanese maple (acer palmatum)

    ReplyDelete