Simply Balisha

Simply Balisha

Saturday, April 5, 2014

Morning Has Broken



 One of my favorite hymns is "Morning Has Broken." I first heard the song in the 1970's, when it played on the radio...sung by Cat Stevens. I remember it vividly....I rushed to the kitchen and turned the radio up. The tune was so pretty and the words were like poetry. I've always loved poetry about nature....and this song was one that I wanted to remember...so I wrote it down, so as not to forget it. Later, when I was in Church, I heard it again. I didn't realize that it was a hymn. Now, I was able to sing it. We used to have a part of the service, where we could choose a favorite hymn to sing....mine was always this one. When Joe and I were making plans to marry, the Priest said that one of us could pick the processional and the other the recessional. I thought about our morning wedding and picked this song for the processional. I hoped that it was in the Catholic hymnal...and it was.... only with different words. I only needed the melody.  I still play it on you tube when I want to hear Cat Stevens sing it.I just found out that it is the first Christian hymn to have it's most famous cover version by a Muslim.. Cat has been a Muslim since 1978.
Here are the lyrics....
Morning has broken, like the first morning
Blackbird has spoken, like the first bird
Praise for the singing, praise for the morning
Praise for them springing fresh from the Word

Sweet the rain's new fall, sunlit from heaven

Like the first dew fall, on the first grass
Praise for the sweetness of the wet garden
Sprung in completeness where His feet pass

Mine is the sunlight, mine is the morning

Born of the one light, Eden saw play
Praise with elation, praise every morning
God's recreation of the new day

Morning has broken like the first morning

Blackbird has spoken like the first bird
Praise for the singing, praise for the morning
Praise for them springing fresh from the Word

Do you see what I mean about the lyrics? A beautiful poem set to a beautiful tune. A beautiful way to start the day here in No. Illinois. The sun is shining, the birds are singing, and it promises to be a nice day.

Balisha

The baby eagles have hatched...two of them. Just saw Mom feeding the two some leftover fish. They are so cute...with their fuzzy little heads. Just put eagles at Decorah, Iowa in your search line...and watch.
Me




14 comments:

  1. I have sung this hymn in church as a solo twice--back in the '80's. I too love it. It has been in our hymnal for many years--I first heard it in the mid 70's--before Cat sang it. I think of it many mornings.



    ReplyDelete
  2. Forgot to add: I also love the hymn "His Eye Is On The Sparrow"--wonderful lyrics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this hymn also...The words pop into my head whenever I see a beautiful sunrise.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! I went to YouTube to listen and it brought tears to my eyes. Thank you for another positive reminder of what life can be. Beth

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved that song too. Some songs just speak to you and they remain with you. I wish I could see your baby eagles. So fun. Have a lovely week a head. Hope Joe is getting better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's one of my favorite hymns too, Balisha

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have always loved these lyrics, too.
    We are having a house built and are busy packing etc. I will be away from my blog but will check in with you as I can.
    Wishing you a week full of blessings. Mildred

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was hoping someone would go to YouTube to listen to it. ...... and Beth did.I listen to it almost every week and I never get tired of it. Sometimes it's the first thing I think of in the morning. No song has ever affected me like this before.Thanks for all the wonderful comments.
    Balisha

    ReplyDelete
  9. This this hymn is a favorite of mine too - especially at early morning mass :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't ever sing the words as Cat Stevens sang them at Mass. Only the tune is the same...at least at our Church.
      Balisha

      Delete
  10. Oh, that's a beautiful song for a processional. I started reading and could hear Cat Stevens singing in his distinctive way. This is the best way to start this morning. Enjoy the day, Balisha ~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our recessional was Joe's favorite...How Great Thou Art.
      Balisha

      Delete